Brands Names: Valtrex
Price Range: $3.33 – $8.33
Dosage: 500mg / 1000mg
Valtrex demonstrates proven effectiveness as a therapeutic and preventative medication for treating many types of herpes viruses. The herpes virus cannot be completely removed from the body. Therefore, the action of the drug is directed primarily at stopping an outbreak, eliminating unpleasant symptoms, increasing the periods of remission, and avoiding relapses.
Valtrex is available as tablets in strengths equal to 0.25, 0.5, and 1 g, sold in packages of 10 or 42 pieces. Valacyclovir is the primary active substance in Valtrex. The L-valyl ester of acyclovir is associated with excellent absorption and a significant concentration in the blood. Therefore, Valtrex demonstrates longer lasting effects compared with its analogs.
Mechanism of action
- accumulation exclusively in virus-infected cells
- oppression of herpesvirus
- blocking virus formation from the inside at the DNA level
- an obstacle to the subsequent reproduction of an existing virus
- elimination of unpleasant side effects
Indications for use
Valtrex is used for elimination of viral symptoms and the prevention of various conditions such as:
- herpes simplex, which is located on the lips as well as in the nose
- labial, genital herpes
- Varicella-Zoster virus
- human herpesvirus type VI
- herpes simplex I and II type
- Epstein-Barr virus
Valtrex does not demonstrate detrimental effects on the liver or cognitive function and does not provoke intestinal dysbiosis.
In rare cases, mostly as a result of overdose, Valtrex can cause side effects:
- problems with the central nervous system: dizziness, light hallucinations, etc.
- abnormalities in the digestive tract: mild nausea and discomfort in the abdomen, intestinal disorder, etc.
- breathing disorders
- allergic reactions, itching, etc.
- increased fatigue, drowsiness, etc.
In very rare cases, symptoms of leukopenia may occur. This typically affects patients with significantly reduced immunity. If any of the aforementioned side effects occur, the drug should be stopped immediately and medical advice should be sought.
Dosing and Administration
When using Valtrex, it is important to recognize that dosages are dependent on each condition that this medication is prescribed to treat.
- Herpetic infection, provoked by bacteria of herpes simplex I and II type: 1 tablet two times per day for one week
- Herpes zoster: 2 tablets three times per day for one week
- Herpes on lips: 2 tablets two times per day on the first day of treatment, and for the following days, 1 tablet two times per day for one week
- Prevention of genital herpes: 1 tablet one time per day throughout the year in instances of constant sexual contact. In cases where there is rare sexual contact, 1 tablet one time per day for each of the three days leading up to the planned sexual intercourse
- Valtrex must be taken with water irrespective of time of day and diet. Valtrex should be used to treat the first symptoms of herpes sores.
The use of Valtrex is contraindicated in the following cases: Children under 12 years of age, intolerance to any of the components, kidney failure, and/or allergic reactions.
Valtrex should be used with extreme caution for the following instances:
- during pregnancy
- renal insufficiency
- during the use of nephrotoxic drugs
- symptoms of HIV infection
- during lactation
Valtrex should not be taken together while consuming alcohol and drugs that are toxic to the liver.